This guide is for students enrolled in HIST130 - History of California with Dr.Sparks. Use it as a starting point to connect with books, articles and other resources for your research.
Reference works such as encyclopedias and guide books are a good place to get basic information on your research topic. Print reference books are available in the Reference area adjacent to the Information Commons on the first floor. For example:
- California’s Geographic Names REF F859,D87 1998
- Dictionary of American History REF E174 .D59 1976
- Dictionary of California Historic Places REF F862.D53 1997
- Encyclopedia of the American West REF F591 .E485 1996
- Historic Spots in California REF F862.H57 2002
- New Encyclopedia of the American West REF F591.N46
- Reader’s Companion to American History REF E174 .R43 1991
The library also has electronic reference works available online. For example:
Got Research? Smart Tigers "POUNCE" on it!
Use Pounce to get connected to library materials, such as books, ebooks, videos, journals, research articles, and more. Make sure to limit your search by source type (book, academic journal, etc.), year, and more to make sure you're getting the best results.
Don't forget to save your sources by printing them, emailing them to yourself, or capturing the citations in a word document.